Saturday, May 4, 2013

are you a real woman?

Your not a real woman unless you own a goat or two.  ~Miss Kay






Nubians are so adorable with their floppy ears, well they are just adorable - ears or not! The kids have grown so much since I last posted.  In the forefront here in this picture is "Buddy" AKA "Stew". Stew is always out in front a bit ahead at any given time, the little doe is a bit more timid and can be found near her dam's side most of the time.  This is Bodie's little buck who was castrated and is being raised for meat.  I know, how sad is that? Actually we would rather raise our own healthy meat options here on the farm.  The little doe is being raise as a producer.  It is our goal to raise healthy, wholesome, happy animals, some for consumption, some as producers.


We started off our little family dairy herd with Nubians. We now have a Saanen and a Nubian that are in milk, they are first freshners and are both giving more milk than we can consume daily, but the excess is going to cheese making!  The whole reason  we wanted to have more than one in milk at the time.  In the coming weeks I will be learning to make yogurt, and several soft cheeses.  Cheddar is our families all time favorite, but the hard cheeses are a bit more challenging to perfect. I am in it for the long haul so eventually with trial and error, with help from more experienced cheese makers and research - I will get it!

If you are local and you would like to taste goats milk I will be glad to give you a pint jar to taste.  You may find that you want or need to keep goats as well!

Erilyn Farm

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you :) I'm 14 and I have 5 goats about to be more. Two of my does are pregnant and due next week! Your goaties are so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tayet, that is awesome! You are well on your way of being a proper woman! I love these goats so much. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, excited to check out your blogs.

      Delete